Albany NY and Capital Region Restaurants

Monday, September 18, 2006

Chick-Fil-A

In retrospect, its really not fair of me to write about restaurants when they're out of town, but in this case, I couldn't help but share about one of my favorite fast-food restaurants. I really don't care to eat fast food that much, but two of my all-time favorites include "In n Out" (a hamburger chain located in California, Arizona, and Nevada -- entry pending for late October) and Chick-fil-a.

Seriously, if chicken were a religion, then Chick-fil-a is its temple.

My first experience at CFA dates back to the 8th grade. The middle school I attended, in Roswell GA, offered its students a voucher for a CFA meal for each "A" he or she received on his or her report card. I've always been a fan of incentivizing certain achievements: bonuses at work, toys or other items for good grades, etc., so this incentive, was a bit peculiar to me since it didnt necessarily want me to work harder in school, until I had my first taste of a CFA sandwich.

The CFA website describes the ubiquitous "chicken sandwich" as a boneless breast of chicken seasoned to perfection, breaded, pressure cooked in peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttered bun with dill pickle chips. That does, in fact, sum it up, but words truly fail to capture how incredibly tender, succulent, and tasty the sandwich really is.

The Chick-Fil-A is just your basic chicken sandwich. It's served on a hamburger bun and adorned with a simple slice of pickle or two (I order my CFA sans pickle), but it’s the chicken breast filet that really makes the sandwich. Coasted in a sweet and savory batter and deep-fried in peanut oil, the CFA is sublime in its simplicity. It’s juicy, tender, and really just melts in your mouth. (CFA +1)

Of course, you’re free to add any condiments you like, and same are provided for your enjoyment. Most sandwiches will run you about $3, and are available in a combo. You can also choose a Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich in a straight or club variety.

Either way, you’ll find that your chicken sandwich is presented much more intact than what you get at the average burger joint. The buns always seem fresher here, the sandwich is never “thrown together” in haphazard fashion, and the insulated foil bag keeps it fresh and hot until you’re ready to eat. (CFA +1)

Of course, you’ll want to add an order of Waffle Fries. Tired of the average fast food fry? These are a cut above, home cut waffle pattern fries that go great with your sandwich. (CFA +1)

Towards that end, Chicken Nuggets and Chicken Strips here are about the best you’ll find anywhere. Not pressed or formed, these are fresh strips and chunks of the same juicy, tender chicken used for the sandwich. Available with your choice of dipping sauce, they’re truly addictive. My only quibble is the price: at $5.99 for 12 rather small nuggets, they are a bit expensive indeed (CFA - 1)

CFA also offers wraps amongst other standard side items including a creamy coleslaw largely reminiscent of the KFC variety. Even the beverage choices go the extra mile, with the usual assortment of Coke products being complemented by fresh squeezed lemonade made daily and freshly brewed SWEET TEA (CFA +1) .

Note, consistent with company policy, all CFA's are closed on Sundays, so plan to eat there on Mondays through Saturdays. (CFA -1 --(I know its a family values thing, but why is it that I always decide on CFA on Sundays)).

Sadly there are no locations in or near Albany NY (CFA-1). I suppose I'll have to schedule some more trips around CFA locations.

Locations nationwide (except Albany of course):
www.chick-fil-a.com

2 Comments:

  • Oh, the magical waffle fries. None in the area can compare. Which is pretty sad for me to be all nostalgic over fast food, but the south does have THE best fast food ever. *cough cough* Jack In The Box, Sonic's, Whataburger *cough cough*

    By Blogger Albany Jane, at 10:35 AM  

  • Someone told me Chick-Fil-A is coming to Latham, NY. Is this a rumor or fact?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home